May 25, 2023
Arizona Diamondbacks — In what can only be described as an obscene abuse of power, Major League Baseball robbed Miguel Castro of Tuesday’s committee-making save and stuck him with some nineteenth-century anachronism called a “win.” On Wednesday, in solidarity with Castro, Jose Ruiz selflessly gave up his shot at a vulture save by letting the Phillies tie the score in the ninth inning. Arizona’s overworked relievers are ready for the off day on Thursday.
Hierarchy remains: *Chafin | Castro | McGough.
* = closer-by-committee
Cincinnati Reds — Cincinnati has called up 25-year-old reliever prospect Eduardo Salazar. In 17.2 minor league innings this season, Salazar allowed one earned run while boasting a 35% K rate and a 63% groundout rate, which doesn’t leave room for much else. Something to think about.
Hierarchy remains: Diaz | Sims | Gibaut.
VULTURE SAVE WATCH
1. Yennier Cano/Bryan Baker (BAL) — Felix Bautista has gone in two straight. Cano threw 30 pitches on Tuesday.
2. Jason Foley (DET) — Alex Lange has pitched in two of three.
3. Adbert Alzolay (CHC) — Mark Leiter Jr. has gone in two straight.
1. Colin Poche (TB) — Pete Fairbanks has gone in two of three, and Jason Adam threw 22 pitches Wednesday.
2. A.J. Minter (ATL) — Both Raisel Iglesias and Nick Anderson threw 20+ pitches last night.
3. Giovanny Gallegos (STL) — Ryan Helsley has gone in two of three (and three of five).
4. Justin Lawrence (COL) — Same for Pierce Johnson.
5. Tyler Rogers (SF) — Camilo Doval has appeared in three of five.