September 25, 2019
Washington Nationals – Daniel Hudson saved both games of the doubleheader yesterday. Sean Doolittle picked up a hold in game one by pitching a scoreless 8th inning. Hudson has six straight scoreless appearances, recording four saves during that time, but he still thinks they need Doolittle as their closer. The Nationals have clinched a playoff spot and we will see if that allows them to throw Doolittle into a save situation during the last week of the season.
Hierarchy remains: *Hudson | Doolittle | Strickland.
* = closer-by-committee
Minnesota Twins — Taylor Rogers bounced back from a rough outing in his last appearance and pitched a perfect 9th inning for his 29th save of the season. Rogers now has 8 saves in September.
Hierarchy remains: Rogers | Romo | Duffey.
Miami Marlins — Jose Urena helped keep the Mets’ playoff hopes alive by allowing a game-tying home run to Michael Conforto in the bottom of the 9th inning. The Marlins wanted to see if Jose Urena could be their closer of the future and so far, it hasn’t worked out. Urena has only converted 2 of his 4 save chances, and has given up 10 earned runs in 8 relief innings in September.
Hierarchy remains: Urena | Stanek | Garcia.
Colorado Rockies – The Colorado Rockies and San Francisco Giants set a major league record by using a combined 25 pitchers on Tuesday. The 25th pitcher of the night was Bryan Shaw and he pitched a scoreless bottom of the 16th for his first save of the season. Jairo Diaz and Carlos Estevez were two of the other 24 pitchers used earlier in the game.
Hierarchy remains: Diaz | Estevez | Shaw.
VULTURE SAVE WATCH
1. Nick Anderson – Emilio Pagan has pitched in two straight and four of the last five.
2. Sean Doolittle – Daniel Hudson pitched on Monday and then in both games of the doubleheader yesterday
3. Andrew Miller – Carlos Martinez may get a second day off after pitching in five of the previous six.
1. Will Harris – If Roberto Osuna pitches today, it will be two straight and three of four.
2. Joe Kelly – same for Kenley Jansen
3. Carlos Estevez – Jairo Diaz went two innings last night and may get Thursday off if he pitches again on Wednesday
4. Justin Wilson/Edwin Diaz – If Seth Lugo pitches today, it will be two straight and four of five. Same goes for Justin Wilson so if both pitchers are used today, Edwin Diaz could get a chance on Thursday.