October 1, 2021
St. Louis Cardinals – Luis Garcia nailed down the final two outs for his second save Thursday. Giovanny Gallegos pitched Sunday and Tuesday, and now that the Cardinals have clinched a playoff spot, it appears Gallegos was getting a little more rest ahead of next week’s Wild Card game.
Hierarchy remains: Gallegos | Cabrera | Garcia.
Miami Marlins – Catcher Sandy Leon managed to get into his sixth game as a reliever on Thursday, allowing a run in 0.1 IP to balloon his ERA to…7.50. He’s allowed five runs in six innings this season. He has the most appearances for a non-pitcher this season, a kind of thing that happens on a 94-loss team.
Hierarchy remains: Floro | Bender | Bass.
Major League Baseball – This weekend, there are four American League teams still vying for the two Wild Card spots (Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Mariners) and two teams gunning for the National League West title (Dodgers and Giants). Top bullpen arms on these teams (especially the AL ones) will be used as much as possible with each game representing a must-win scenario. If you’re in a daily league, consider aiming for closers and setup men from these squads if they are available, as they will certainly be used.
VULTURE SAVE WATCH
1. Richard Rodriguez (ATL) — Will Smith has gone in two of three and four of six.
1. Spencer Patton (TEX) – If he goes Friday, it would be three times in four days for Joe Barlow.
2. Tyler Rogers (SF) – Same as above for Camilo Doval.
3. Tyler Duffey (MIN) – Ditto for Alex Colome.
4. Anthony Bender (MIA) – A Friday outing would be four of six for Dylan Floro.