July 23, 2012
Boston Red Sox – Mark Melancon got shelled yesterday, and has looked shaky recently after a great return from the minor leagues. Hard thrower Andrew Miller has been the much more consistent reliever lately, and now sports a 2.74 ERA. Hierarchy change: Andrew Miller to 2nd in line, replacing Mark Melancon.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |Updated BOS |Aceves |Padilla |Miller |Bailey |7/23/12 |Bailey(DL) |
Detroit Tigers – Jose Valverde experienced some back tightness before Sunday’s game, so he was held out of action, but manager Jim Leyland said the injury was not serious. Joaquin Benoit got the save in his place. No hierarchy change.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |Updated DET |Valverde |Benoit |Coke |Valverde |7/23/12
Arizona Diamondbacks – After notching a couple of saves early in the season, Bryan Shaw has struggled in recent weeks, and on Sunday, the Diamondbacks sent him to the minors. Fortunately, for Arizona, Takashi Saito recently came off the disabled list and will pitch in the 7th inning for the time being. Hierarchy change: Takashi Saito to 2nd in line, replacing Bryan Shaw.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |Updated ARI |Putz |Hernandez |Satio |Putz |7/23/12
VULTURE SAVE WATCH
1. Luke Gregerson, San Diego Padres – Huston Street has pitched in three straight.
2. Brandon League, Seattle Mariners – Tom Wilhelmsen has pitched in three straight.
3. Pedro Strop, Baltimore Orioles – Jim Johnson has pitched in two straight games, and four of the last five.
4. Mike Dunn, Miami Marlins - The Marlins are employing a closer-by-committee and thus far, Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn have each picked up one save. Cishek is still the best bet for a save on any given night, but Dunn could get the call if the Marlins are facing a lefty-heavy 9th inning.
5. Jared Burton, Minnesota Twins - The Twins are employing a committee, and while Glen Perkins remains the best bet for saves, Jared Burton could get an opportunity whenever the Twins are facing a righty-heavy lineup.