May 7, 2012
Los Angeles Dodgers – Javy Guerra blew another save on Sunday, and for the first time, manager Don Mattingly expressed wavering confidence in the righty, saying that he’d have to keep looking at the closer role. Guerra will likely get one more shot to close before being benched, though he remains firmly on the Hot Seat and is a good bet to lose his job with one more blown save. No hierarchy change.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |UpdatedLAD |Guerra |Jansen |Lindblom |Guerra |5/7/12
San Diego Padres – Despite throwing 100+ mph gas all night, Andrew Cashner was knocked around on Sunday, giving up 4 earned runs in a tie game in the 8th inning. He’s still likely the Padres go-to guy while Huston Street recovers, but could quickly lose that distinction if he falters again. Andrew Cashner to Hot Seat.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |UpdatedSD |Cashner |Gregerson |Thayer |Street |5/7/12 |Street(DL) |
Miami Marlins – As noted in yesterday’s Vulture Save Watch, Steve Cishek threw 52 pitches over 3 innings on Friday and was again unavailable on Sunday, so the Marlins went to Edward Mujica for the save in the 9th. No hierarchy change.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |UpdatedMIA |Cishek |Mujica |Bell |Bell |5/7/12
Atlanta Braves – For the second day in a row, the Braves had a comfortable late-inning lead, and a long reliever notched a save; this time, it was Cristhian Martinez, who pitched 2.2 clean innings in the blowout. No hierarchy change.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |UpdatedATL |Kimbrel |Venters |O'Flaherty |Kimbrel |5/7/12
Los Angeles Angels – Scott Downs was helped off the field after sustaining an apparent knee injury in the 9th inning on Sunday. He will undergo evaluation, but he was spotted on crutches after the game, so he’s likely to miss at least a few days. LaTroy Hawkins also was injured in the game, and while the Angels did not name a new closer, Mike Scioscia appears to be reluctant to give the closer job back to Jordan Walden, instead mentioning Ernesto Frieri as a possible candidate. Hierarchy change: Scott Downs injured, Ernesto Frieri to Closer, Jason Isringhausen to 2nd in line.
|Closer |Set-Up |2nd In Line |2013 Closer |UpdatedLAA |Frieri |Walden |Isringhausen|Walden |5/7/12 |Downs(INJ) | |Hawkins(INJ)|
VULTURE SAVE WATCH
1. Joe Smith/Tony Sipp, Cleveland Indians – Both closer Chris Perez and set-up man Vinnie Pestano have pitched in 4 of the last 5 games, and the Indians have a doubleheader today, meaning 7th-inning men Joe Smith and Tony Sipp could get save opportunities.
2. James Russell/Kerry Wood, Chicago Cubs – Rafael Dolis pitched 2 innings yesterday, and has pitched in 4 out of the last 5 games.
3. Joaquin Benoit, Detroit Tigers – Jose Valverde has pitched on three consecutive days.
4. Luke Gregerson, San Diego Padres – Andrew Cashner threw 39 pitches in a rough outing yesterday and could have the night off.
5. Franklin Morales, Boston Red Sox – Alfredo Aceves has pitched 4.2 innings over the past three days, throwing 69 pitches in the process.